[TriLUG] breaking microsoft news

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 7 00:17:41 EST 2001

NINE STATES REJECT MICROSOFT ANTITRUST DEAL

Posted November 06, 2001 02:52 Pacific Time

WASHINGTON - NINE of the 18 states involved in the
Microsoft antitrust case agreed today to join the U.S.
Department of Justice in settling the landmark case.
But nine other states and Washington rejected the
settlement and will continue litigation in pursuit of
tougher terms.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, whose
state is continuing litigation, called the Justice
Department settlement "very good progress" but said it
wasn't strong enough to prevent a "recurrence of
violations" of law. "The settlement reached today
reflects a triumph of hope over history," said
Blumenthal. And "that history is due cause for
caution."

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/11/06/011106hnninestates.xml?1107weam

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"A few weeks ago, in a column entitled, "There'll be no
XP for me," I recommended that people should avoid
buying Windows XP. Since then, I've been deluged with e-
mail from readers who've come to the same conclusion.
Too many customers may now have become alienated for
even Microsoft to ignore."

--"Windows Manager" columnist Brian Livingston.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/11/05/011105oplivingston.xml?1107weam