[TriLUG] Alpha Lockups

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Nov 8 23:48:56 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:11:39PM -0500, P. L. Charles Fischer spoke thusly:
>   I have not looked yet (my bad).  After the last crash it will not fsck,
>   so I am going to reload.  This would be a good time to try another version
>   if I had an idea of which one to try.

Ewww. I've been using debian on my alpha lately (mostly because it's
an EV4 cpu, and nothing higher than RHL6.2 supports the EV4) and have
had tons and tons of sucess.

YMMV, of course.

If you do plan on using redhat, try 6.2 or 7.0 instead. If memory
serves me right, 7.1 was tweeked out pretty hard for EV5 and higher
CPUs, and I can't remember where yours fits in.

And, FWIW, fatalpha.trilug.org runs Red Hat Linux 6.2, and uptime says:
 11:45pm  up 174 days,  9:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02,
 0.01

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001