[TriLUG] Newbie Question

Richard O. Hammer ROHammer at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 09:06:22 EST 2001

Justin Johnson wrote:
> It is my understanding that in linux it is possible to run an application on
> one
> machine, which is displaying its output and receiving input form another
> machine.
> Is this true, what is this 'technology' called, so I can find out how to do
> it? Please
> also confirm or deny that this applies to graphical applications.

It is true.  And it certainly applies to graphical
applications.  I think the technology might generally be
called "services".  There are client computers and server
computers, the server computers running programs called
"servers" (actually the server computers are often called
"servers" too).  Clients and servers use protocols (such as
HTTP) and languages (such as HTML) to communicate with each
other.

I have the impression that this area of programming, clients
and servers, encompasses most of what is going on now in the
computer industry.  This, broadly speaking, is the major
area of activity.

Rich Hammer