[TriLUG] News Flash

P. L. Charles Fischer fischer at pop3.zedec.com
Fri Nov 9 14:58:52 EST 2001

In a surprise announcement today President Bush stated that the United
States was pulling out of Afghanistan.  In his speech Mr. Bush points out
that the current recession is putting a financial burden on the country, and
we are just not getting enough bang for the buck by going after the Taliban.
On condition of anonymity a White House spokeswoman said that the President,
just thinks that the money going to the Afghan campaign could be better used
for a corporate tax incentive, so we can get America back to work.

This may be an absurd comparison with the Microsoft case, but I do not think
that bang for the buck should play a part in criminal prosecutions.  As for
the states finances, if we can afford to prosecute consenting adults for
cohabiting, and pass a blatantly unconstitutional  ten commandants law (that
will lead to very expensive law suites) then we should be able to afford to
pursue a penalty for a convicted Microsoft.

Sorry for ranting on about the role of government, but the government must
do its basic job of protecting the individuals of this society.

-Charles Fischer
P. L. Charles Fischer                                      fischer at zedec.com
					VOX: 919.465.2306	800.894.0058
ZEDEC Technologies                                         FAX: 919.465.2309