[TriLUG] even more interesting

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 17:00:07 EST 2001

Here, here Joseph!  I agree with you whole-heartedly.  But let me also add,
don't go away, just go away mad.  I love that you have a different point of
view.  That's really cool by me.  We need diversity to survive.

Yes Windows helped full the PC explosion, but don't be fooled into thinking
that ONLY Windows could have done that...

I myself, have a few scenarios that play out different than yours.
If Windows had not filled the void back in the early 80's there are a lot of
things that would have filled it.  For one, there was a really interesting
corporation whose approach was application based and not OS based. They had
a suite of applications that all had a nice GUI feel about them and all
could be launched via one parent app. The apps also had access to common
data and could easily toss data between the various apps.
Maybe you don't remember that because you're a little too young.  Businesses
ate this stuff up and began ordering PC in hordes.  The company was Lotus
and the product was Symphony. It even had modem control built into it so it
could automatically attach to a centralized database (and this was before
networks).

There was also another contender.  One that I would put my money on to have
won-out, had MS not stolen on to the scene: Apple.  You might not remember
the Apple explosion, but Macs truly lead the way with innovation.  Macs
broke through a lot of barriers that no other machine/OS could have. Today,
I still have a few Macs on my network, and the folks that use them would
rather die than switch to any other machine... Folks show more loyalties to
their Macs than they do to their Spouses!

And who (among us old farts) could forget the war between WordPerfect and
WordStar!  These two apps started out as mere word processors, and almost
became whole OS's in their struggles to out-widget each other.

Ten years from now, we won't be using Windows, and we won't be using Linux,
but we will be using something that evolved from both (at least partially).
So it's a little silly to argue over whether we should give Bill his due, as
far as I'm concerned he's already gotten his due, and what is to come, is
yet to come.

Jon Carnes