[TriLUG] runlevels, kernel arguements and LILO

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Nov 9 23:42:36 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:25:38PM -0500, Chris Merrill spoke thusly:
> I've seen several references in various HOWTOs that say you can
> pass a kernel argument to select the runlevel...but it only said you
> can use 'single' for runlevel 0 and 'emergency' for ???.  Is there a
> way to pass a kernel argument to select whichever runlevel I want?

Nope. Tahts' controlled by the init process, which reads it from /etc/inittab

> If not, is there any other way to select different runlevels from
> LILO?

[fish]
Again, nope. Anything you pass via LILO has to be either translated to
a kernel parameter ([kernelname] single in lilo actualy translates to
/path/to/kernel S [other params]).

[teach to fish]
All of this (and more) is covered in
[/path/to/kernel-source/]Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

[side note]
I would like to mention that one of the cool things about GRUB is you
have access to your kernel command line and can edit it at boot time,
or, if you know all your paramters, type it in from scratch at a
command prompt. So if you wanted to experiment with the command line,
you can.

I've become a grub convert *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001