[TriLUG] Via Voice - Was: Mandrake 8.1 is now available in Raleigh for purchase!!

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Nov 12 10:33:46 EST 2001

Henryk Kowalski wrote:

> Pardon the tangent but speaking of Via Voice, does anyone have any

> experience witht the Linux version?  How does it compare with the

> Windows version, or for that matter with Dragon Naturally speaking

> (for win)?

I can't compare it with the other two voice-=>text packages that you

mention (because I've never tried them) but ViaVoice for Linux worked
rather nicely on my Athlon-900 system.  It does require a fairly quick
box and you might have to get a new soundcard (though the vast majority
are supported) or a better kernel sound driver.

IBM does maintain two rather active mailing list with some of the IBM
ViaVoice developers who put a lot of time/effort into answering questions
and helping others develop programs that can tie in to the ViaVoice engine
(mostly, Java apps).

hth,
Ed

--