[TriLUG] recognizing 2nd HDD

That One Guy trilug at ichi.net
Tue Nov 13 21:39:25 EST 2001

Chris Merrill (cmerrill at nc.rr.com) wrote:
Chris>: I recently acquired a 2nd HDD for my Thinkpad (T23) - now I need
Chris>: to figure out how to get Linux to recognize it.  I think the BIOS sees it,
Chris>: (I see a 2nd drive in the BIOS setup screen), but I don't know how
Chris>: to get Linux to see it...any tips?

I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but:

-  Check /var/log/messages and find out what device it shows up as.
        (It's probably /dev/hdb)
-  Use fdisk to create your partitions and write the partition table to the
disk

-  Use mke2fs to put a filesystem on the new partition
-  At this point, you can mount the filesystem and use it.

HTH,

--
That One Guy

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.