[TriLUG] DirecTV DSL anyone?

Andrew Perrin aperrin at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 13 22:04:03 EST 2001

I second (third) what others have said. I have DirecTV DSL (fka
Telocity) in Chapel Hill; tech support has been poor-to-adequate, but the
service itself is great, particularly for the price. The first gateway I
got from them was defective, which caused a couple of weeks delay, but
since receiving the second it works great -- I've never had to power cycle
(the gateway has been up continuously since June), but for some reason
periodically I have to do:

ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig eth1 up

from the console. (I've ended up having cron do this automatically: check
for network connectivity and do the down/up sequence if there's no ping
out.) I have my linux (debian) box doing ipmasq for three other
machines: two laptops (one debian, one Win98) and my wife's Win98 desktop.

ap

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA