[TriLUG] DirecTV DSL anyone?

Don Brady dbrady at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 11:52:30 EST 2001

At 10:52 AM 11/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>From: Don Brady <dbrady at pobox.com>
>
>>I also have them, and think they are the best choice among BellSouth area
>>low-cost DSL providers.
>
>Really? How much is low cost?

$49 or so is low cost compared to the over $100  you would pay to Covad or
... for that speed.

The 3 low-cost providers are BellSouth.net, Earthlink,  and Directv.  These
3 all all use BellSouth's DSLAM's and ATM cloud.
Actually, you can get the first 3 months of Directv for $19.95 each or some
such, and there is also a $100 referral rebate that you can give to a
friend or relative (or self?).

>The monthly payments will be the same as what I am paying now for
>BellSouth ADSL ($49/mo)

True.

>Right now, with BellSouth, I can (and I have done, and then undone b/c the
>'thingy') setup my mail, http, sshd, ftp servers no problem. Maybe they
>are not that open about what they let you do with your machines, but I can
>do (almost) everything. Well, if you do not considere a problem the "thou
>shallt only haffe a dynamique IP" thingy....
>
>My speed is great (1.3Mbps d.s./240Kbps u.s.). I have had no technical
>problems (maybe because I use Linux as my home router), the billing has
>gone OK, I only have had about 5 hours of downtime in a year...

It should be the same with Directv.  It's the same DSLAM, same line, same
ATM cloud.

>The only thing is the fixed IP (yes! domain name!). And possibly better
>newsgroups access.
>
>Can you get access to those newsgroups with those guys?
>
>es.comp.os.linux.instalacion
>es.comp.os.linux.misc
>es.comp.os.linux.redes
>es.comp.os.linux.programacion

Can someone else check?  I do not use Directv's news server.  From what I
hear, it is not great.

>So, should I just call BellSouth and threaten them to leave their service
>unless I get a fixed IP? You know, e-mail switch nightmare...

It will not do any good.   They do not give static IP's.