[TriLUG] DirecTV DSL anyone?

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 12:22:19 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Don Brady wrote:

> >The only thing is the fixed IP (yes! domain name!). And possibly better
> >newsgroups access.
> >
> >Can you get access to those newsgroups with those guys?
> >
> >es.comp.os.linux.instalacion
> >es.comp.os.linux.misc
> >es.comp.os.linux.redes
> >es.comp.os.linux.programacion
>
> Can someone else check?  I do not use Directv's news server.  From what I
> hear, it is not great.

According to various postings on triangle.online-access (Sinner -- you
should check the archives at groups.google.com), DirecTV DSL news server
had had various growing pains, is slow, has poor retention times, and
access may become metered in the future.

> >So, should I just call BellSouth and threaten them to leave their service
> >unless I get a fixed IP? You know, e-mail switch nightmare...

You should solve your email switch nightmare by using a forwarding service
permanently.  TriLUG offers one for members with shell accounts; if you
prefer a commerical service I recommend pobox.com, which I have used for
years with no problems (although don't take their spam filtering too
seriously).    I've switched ISPs serveral times and pobox.com follows me
everywhere -- email forwarding is the RIGHT thing to do. :)

Regards,
Jeremy