[TriLUG] DirecTV DSL anyone?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:00:43 EST 2001

>From: Jeremy P <jeremyp at pobox.com>

>According to various postings on triangle.online-access (Sinner -- you
>should check the archives at groups.google.com), DirecTV DSL news server
>had had various growing pains, is slow, has poor retention times, and
>access may become metered in the future.

You mean, like the ones with Bellsouth.... Bellsouth first provided no
access to those groups. Then, they provided them, but they had a lousy
feeder contract, so I was missing a whole bunch. Recently, they switched to
some moronic company that uses a propietary news server, instead of inn, and
it gives me grief. I say moronic because the first week with them they had a
problem. I contacted them, got a polite reply, I provided more
information...they fixed in 2-4 days. And now is broken again with the same
problem! Argh!

> > >So, should I just call BellSouth and threaten them to leave their
>service
> > >unless I get a fixed IP? You know, e-mail switch nightmare...

>You should solve your email switch nightmare by using a forwarding service
>permanently.  TriLUG offers one for members with shell accounts; if you
>prefer a commerical service I recommend pobox.com, which I have used for
>years with no problems (although don't take their spam filtering too
>seriously).    I've switched ISPs serveral times and pobox.com follows me
>everywhere -- email forwarding is the RIGHT thing to do. :)

Thanks for the advice!

>Regards,
>Jeremy

Salut,