[TriLUG] Re: XBox

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Thu Nov 15 14:12:59 EST 2001

On 15 Nov 2001 at 13:48 (-0500), Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
| On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Chris Merrill spoke thusly:
| > I must be missing something here...what, exactly, would be the point
| > of putting Linux on an XBox (besides "because it's there")??  Could
| > you still run the games on it?  What else would you use it for?
| > Does it have DSP hardware on it that could make it useful as a
| > TiVo, for instance?
|
| Builtin Ethernet, NVidea chipset, P3 CPU, 8 G harddrive, 4USB
| ports. I'm not sure on the RAM, but I'd hahve to bet on at least 64M,
| because of the games.
|
| It's basically, if hackable, a $300 computer capable of doing
| anything a desktop can do, only it uses TV Out.
|
| Think about it. And M$ is taking a big loss to ship them.

Any sales of the X-box (no matter what the reason) only help MS in
the long run.  They take a loss so they can show high sales numbers
in order to attract game developers to their platform.  Please do
not see this as an opportunity to "take advantage" of any per-unit
loss that MS might be absorbing -- your assistance in boosting sales
is worth much more to them than the $50 you'll "save".  If you are
interested in helping ABM (anyone but MS), go buy one of the competing
consoles.

cheers.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman