[TriLUG] Re: XBox

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 15 14:17:07 EST 2001

Chris Merrill wrote:

> Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney said:
> > It's basically, if hackable, a $300 computer capable of doing
> > anything a desktop can do, only it uses TV Out.
> >
> > Think about it. And M$ is taking a big loss to ship them.
>
> I'm thinking about it...but I can pick up a used system with
> equivalent hardware for the same price...and I _know_ I can
> put linux on it...and it would have a CD drive...and it would
> be expandable...so I still don't understand the excitement...

Putting Linux on an XBox may have a high 'hack value' for some.  Here is
the Hackers' Jargon Dictionary definition:

  hack value     n.     Often adduced as the reason or motivation for
  expending effort toward a seemingly useless goal, the point being that
  the accomplished goal is a hack. For example, MacLISP had features for
  reading and printing Roman numerals, which were installed purely for hack
  value. See display hack for one method of computing hack value, but this
  cannot really be explained, only experienced. As Louis Armstrong once
  said when asked to explain jazz: "Man, if you gotta ask you'll never
  know." (Feminists please note Fats Waller's explanation of rhythm:
  "Lady, if you got to ask, you ain't got it.")

That explains it good enough for me.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html