[TriLUG] RedHat CD install hangs

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Thu Nov 15 22:03:45 EST 2001

On Thursday 15 November 2001 02:58 pm, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> I was able to install linux on to a test machine earlier by booting
> off the RedHat CD.  The cdrom drive was on it's own ide channel w/ a
> std ide cable.  Now I want to re-install to a new drive but I have
> moved the cdrom to the slave of the primary ide ( ultra dma ) channel
> and it's hooked up via an ata100 cable.  I can still boot off the cd,
> but it hangs after selection of the install type ( custom ).

When you say "hangs," exactly what do you mean?  Does it crash and display
debugging information, or does it just sit there?  If it just hangs without
crashing, press <Ctrl><Alt><F4> and see if there are any kernel output
messages relating to the cdrom?

Also, try booting the installer with 'linux ide=nodma' instead of 'linux
ide1=nodma'.  Does that help at all?

Brent