[TriLUG] Re: X-box

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Fri Nov 16 20:22:15 EST 2001

begin  quotation from al johson <alfjon at mindspring.com> [on 011116 19:14]::

> I'm mystified that these boxes don't just use the VCR+ system of entering
> programming info. It's available in every TV Guide and newspaper TV listing
> FREE (Oh, I know why--They couldn't make more money by doing it that way,
> instead they chose the Microsoft way--RENT THE LISTINGS!! with a fee that
> will actually make the rental fees exceed the cost of the TI-VO!! They ought
> to just give the things away so they'll make even more money from the
> general public (hackers excluded :-))

Theres another reason, VCR plus codes are kept a trade secret, and people
that originally figured them out in the early 90's got threatened with legal
action. Theres some pattent issues involved too. Heres some links..

http://curtwelch.com/projects.html
and question 8.16 here:  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/cryptography-faq/part08/

Peace.

john