[TriLUG] question about xine

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Nov 19 12:08:52 EST 2001

rpjday wrote:

>   ok, i've downloaded and installed xine (along with its prerequisite
> libdvdcss and libdvdread libs), manually created a /dev/dvd file and
> symlinked it to /dev/scd0, my dvd/cd-rw drive.
>
>   when i run xine, sure enough, i get the ui, but when i press play,
> i get
>
>   xine-panel: PLAY
>   xine_play: xine open xine-ui version ... blah blah ...
>   xine: cannot find input plugin for this MRL
>
> the dvd was automatically mounted at /mnt/cdrom1, and has a directory
> structure of
>
>   audio_ts  video_ts
>
> and inside of video_ts, there are numerous .vob files, so that part
> looks good.  what trivial initialization step am i missing?  thanks.
>
> rday

 From the xine FAQ:

> To play that VOB file use something like
>
> xine dvd://VTS_xx_x.VOB
>
> make sure you do not supply any path name (no VIDEO_TS/) and use
> capital letters for the file name.
>
> xine tries to open the dvd using /dev/cdrom. On freebsd this will only
> work if you create a symlink to your dvd-devicenode for the time being.

If you want it, however, to work like a normal dvd player,
try using the dvdnav plugin
(http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-dvdnav.shtml)

This allows you to run xine like this:

xine dvdnav://

and it should act like a normal dvd player...

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989