[TriLUG] Kernel module config Question

Marty Ferguson marty.ferguson at pobox.com
Tue Nov 20 10:13:43 EST 2001

I think that if you want to compile only the one new
module without recompiling the kernel, then you
don't want to make mrproper or make clean either.

Make dep will take care of gleaning dependencies,
but making clean will get rid of too much stuff  out
of /usr/src/linux-2.4 directory tree that a
module-only compile would need.

I've never attempted this.  I assume Red Hat 7.X,
or a derivative like Mandrake.

I think you'll want to identify a temporary EXTRAVERSION
so there is a kernel ID to hold your new target module.

Modify the 4th line of the make file EXTRAVERSION

EXTRAVERSION = TMP

backup
make menuconfig
make dep
make modules
make modules_install

Check for the existance of the new module in
/lib/modules/2.4.X-TMP/kernel

copy it over to the corresponding directory of the
live kernel you are now running

test, insmod my_new_module

It will either work or complain.  If it complains,
then you'll probably need to compile the entire
kernel, but then after that if it's a good kernel,
and it boots and runs properly, then you may
thereafter only need to follow the above
steps.

Marty
------------------------------------
On Monday 19 November 2001 14:56, you wrote:
> From: rpjday <rpjday at mindspring.com>
>
> > > Let's say I want to include a new module on my kernel. I run "make
> > > oldconfig" , I edit the .config file, I uncomment the line "#
> > > YOUR_DEVICE_GOES_HERE is not set" and changed it to
> > > "YOUR_DEVICE_GOES_HERE=m".
> > >
> > > Should I recompile the kernel? Or just running "make module && make
> > > modules_install" will work?
> >
> >i'm not sure if this was already obvious, but you should run
> >"make dep" first, at least from everything i've seen.
>
> Yes, I know. And backup .configure + make mrproper is also adviced. This is
> clear. But, again, do I need a new Kernel (bzImage file) + modify LiLo/Grub
> + Reboot ? Will make modules && make modules_install will just do the trick
> ??
>

> Salut,
> Sinner
>
> *new* European Mirror for my website at
> http://www.escomposlinux.org/sinner/

Marty Ferguson
mailto:marty.ferguson at pobox.com        919-544-9575
Red Hat Certified Engineer   (RHCE #806199530900860)