[TriLUG] rpm database question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 18:59:25 EST 2001

> 		Production Boxes:
> 		   _Nothing_ goes on the box that isnt an RPM.

You have got to be kidding me...  You mean you wait for an RPM fix when
there is a vulnerability announced?

All my main servers have their main software installed via tarball.  For my
mail servers that's Sendmail, for DNS it's Bind, for my main Fileserver
it's Samba.  In fact, I can't think of a major process on a server that I
haven't installed from Tarball...

All my servers run well and are secure.

I also play a little fast and loose on my workstation at home, but I've
never *not* been able to force an rpm to install... and if it ever
happened, I always know where to find the latest source.

It's just my opinion, but I think of RPM installs as being somewhat generic
- an attempt at one-size fits all.  Linux is tough enough that most times
that works out just fine, but I like to get that extra edge of really
installing the app or service to match my environment and my companies
needs.

It is a strategy that has worked extremely well for the last 4 years.

Jon.