[TriLUG] rpm database question

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Wed Nov 21 02:13:04 EST 2001

On Tuesday, November 20 2001, Christian J Hedemark said:

> Adrian announced:
> > No, I build an rpm with the fix and install it.
>
> <sarcasm>Ahhh so you are a masochist then, eh?</sarcasm>

Well, yes, but that has no bearing on the subject at hand.  :-)

> RPM has some great potential.  With some up to date book(s) on the subject,
> and maybe a packaging tool that works, I'd probably use it more.  Building a
> package right now seems to be a major pain.  I haven't found a reliable &
> easy way yet to build those pesky spec files.  What's your secret?

Experience goes a long way.  That and asking questions when you run into
problems.  I don't have the time (or really the skillset, I'm a hacker,
not a documentation writer) to document everything in RPM, but I do try
to make it a point to help out when people ask questions on lists that
I'm on.  Maybe by doing so, I'll help someone else figure out enough
that *they* can write documentation :-)

Of course, if I ever manage to get through the ever growing task list,
doing some basic docs on "this is how to build a package sanely" based
off of the RPM building presentation I gave to the LUG at NCSU would
probably get done.  Just not enough hours in the day though

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D