[TriLUG] n&o article on red hat response to microsoft proposal

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 20 21:30:44 EST 2001

http://www.newsobserver.com/wednesday/business/Story/839511p-826865c.html

  note particularly the part of the microsoft proposal in which
it offers to supply "refurbished" computers.  given that even
microsoft admits that xp will not run on computers older than
two years, this suggests very strongly that these schools will
not be getting the latest and greatest software, suggesting
that microsoft may be using this proposal to clean its shelves
of old, worthless inventory, such as 95 or 98.  (note that the
article just mentions "windows" and "office", while not being
any more specific.)

 and if this applies to office software as well, then that
software will be imcompatible with the latest office suites
from microsoft, making all that software utterly worthless,
while still giving microsoft a horking, big tax deduction.

  my cynicism is starting to get the best of me.  time for more
coffee.

rday