[TriLUG] Digital camera recommendations

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Nov 21 10:53:21 EST 2001

H. Wade Minter wrote:

> I've heard from Santa's Little Elf (Mrs. Minter) that I'll be getting a
> digital camera for Christmas.  I run FreeBSD on my desktop and Linux on my

Hi Wade,

I've had very good experiences with the Kodak DC-260, DC-265, and
DC-290 series that use OpenDigita

   http://ods.sourceforge.net/

as their driver.  They work smoothly with both serial and USB (and
supposedly IrDA, thought I have not tried it) on all 2.4 and later
2.2 linux kernels.  I've had them setup with both serial and USB
connections being driven by Perl scripts to take long (thousands of
images over weeks of work) series of images for experiments in our
labs.  Very stable & reliable.  Its great to be able to control them
(that is: shoot, download, delete, repeat) over a serial or USB
connection.

They are being phased out by Kodak so you might be able to get a
DC-290 for a good deal.

hth,
Ed

ps - I'm hoping that Linux drivers will emerge for the newest
      Kodak cameras that have USB power/base stations...

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher    |  Emails:   <ed at eh3.com>, <ehill at mines.edu>