[TriLUG] rpm database question

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Wed Nov 21 11:53:12 EST 2001

On Tuesday, November 20 2001, rpjday said:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Of course, if I ever manage to get through the ever growing task list,
> > doing some basic docs on "this is how to build a package sanely" based
> > off of the RPM building presentation I gave to the LUG at NCSU would
> > probably get done.  Just not enough hours in the day though
>
> what about a graphical rpm-building tool, like "ksconfig" lets you
> build kickstart files?

There are several of them in existence, and although they usually work
for the really simple stuff, the simple stuff is boiler plate that you
can throw together in five minutes once you have a good working
template.  The problem is that building software is mostly special cases
and doing things like intelligent subpackaging, etc is nearly impossible
to do in an automated fashion. }=\

With kickstart, at least, there are some known constants

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D