[TriLUG] Digital Camera Question

Michael A. McLean mamclean at eos.ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 23 00:23:30 EST 2001

Tom Bryan wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 November 2001 02:20 pm, you wrote:
>
> > 4) since you want to play with linux, verify that your camera has
> >   gphoto support (www.gphoto.org)
>
> Either that or jphoto (http://jPhoto.sourceforge.net)
> I use it for USB downloads with a DC 4800.

My camera is "supported" by gphoto.  Which means that I get appallingly
slow and somewhat unreliable downloads over a serial cable.

After about a month of this, I invested in a PCMCIA smartmedia adapter.
Just pull the card out of the camera and insert in the slot.  Card
services automatically maps it to an ide device and mounts it (I may
have had to tweak ide.opts).  Very fast too.