[TriLUG] the new kernel's here! the new kernel's here!

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Fri Nov 23 17:12:47 EST 2001

On Friday, November 23 2001, John Franklin said:

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 05:20:25PM -0500, John R. Hicks wrote:
> > It's the same as 2.4.15 (which was also released today, I think), with a
> > different version number.  Slashdot has details.
>
> Wow.  Does that mean they're finally going to stop adding features to a
> "long-ago-frozen" tree and start the bug hunt?  Not that I'm cynical or
> anything.

This is the way devel kernels usually start.  It's a lot better to start
off your devel series from a point that's virtually the same as your
stable series because it makes backporting things which are stable much
easier in a year or so.  There actually haven't been very many features
at all added to 2.4, and those that have haven't been the cause of
instability; most of that has been having bits and pieces of three
different people's approach to VM tweaking integrated by Linus.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D