[TriLUG] Speaking of seemingly useless buttons...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 26 06:55:32 EST 2001

Don't know *how* to do it, but I know that the keys work automagically with
some distributions...

Here's a good starting point:
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.html

and from:
  http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-2.html#ss2.20

2.20 Microsoft Natural keyboard

This keyboard has three additional keys, with escaped scancodes e0 5b
(LeftWindow), e0 5c (RightWindow), e0 5d (Menu). The kscancodes (see below)
are e0 1f, e0 27 and e0 2f, respectively. The USB key codes are usage page
0x07, usage index 227, 231, 101 (decimal), respectively. Microsoft
describes the intended use in detail. Both Windows keys are intended to be
used as modifier keys, like both shift and control and alt keys. The Menu
key may be modified by shift etc.

====

Jaimime Livingston did a lot of research on this when he setup his
workstation.  He also figured out how to get all the buttons on his
Kensington mouse to work (and do what he wants them to do!).

Jon