[TriLUG] What have I done ( httpd ) ?

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Nov 26 15:00:39 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> I'm using the Dell PowerApp software for Linux that came w/ this
> server.  It's proven to make things easier till now.  I found a
> Virtual Host defined for "No IPs Available".  This was a default web
> site that the software originally created for me for my default IP
> address.  I recently added a couple of other IPs and switched to IP
> based hosting.  I don't seem to be able to get rid of this original
> site it created.  I can see it in the manager, but there's no option
> to get rid of it.
>
> I commented it out of httpd.conf and still fail to start httpd, but
> now I have no error messages to work with.

Unless something is seriously wrong with your httpd binary, it should
always put something in error_log when you try to start it (unless
error_log is unwriteable or something).  Are you sure that you're reading
the log correctly?  Run "tail -f error_log" in one window, and "service
httpd start" in another, and see what happens.  Also check
/var/log/boot.log which gets output of the "service" command (sort of).

I avoid software like the PowerApp stuff like the plague -- even if it
seems to work initially, it's bound to run into problems eventually.  Who
knows what crazy depencies it has that you broke with your mass package
removal; you really should learn how to manage things yourself instead of
using software that tries to be too smart for its own good.  (Linuxconf is
another example of this kind of software; it's been removed from the
latest version of RHL for good reason!)

Hope this helps,
Jeremy