[TriLUG] any clues?

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 26 16:12:16 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> In my experience, Most Linux distro's setup CD/DVD Writers as SCSI devices.

if you look at the dmesg output, it appears that the drive is *not*
a writer.  can anyone verify if a regular CD-ROM ATAPI drive would
get scsi emulation?  or a dvd drive?  even if they're not writers.

> I've had to compile SCSI Generic support in my kernel's to get it to work
> correctly. ATAPI devices are simply IDE CD devices, readers and writers. I
> believe the model he's referring to, Phillips PCRW804 is an IDE 8x4x32x
> Write/Rewrite/Read drive. It sounds as if he cannot get his writer working
> and doesn't understand why the distro set up /dev/cdrom as a soft link to
> /dev/scd0. I bet if he'd verify his /etc/fstab, he'd find the problem there.

again, that unit doesn't appear to be a writer, but the problem may very
well be the same.

> "with checking with the book. the ls -l /dev/cdrom comes up with /dev/cdrom
> -
> /dev/scd0. the cat /proc/devices has ide0 and ide1. dmeg | more has an
> hda
> and hdc pcrw804 atapi cd/dvd rom drive scsi subsys driver rev:1.00 and
> scsi0: scsi hostadapter emulation ide atapi devices. vendor phillips model
> pcrw804 rev: 2,1 and type: cd-rom ansi scsi rev: 02. mount /dev/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom I get unknown devise. the cat /proc/filesystems has iso9660
> listed and the cdrom installed is set to master. thank you let me know hot
> to fix if possible."

once again, i'd take a shot at "cdrecord -scanbus" to see what he
comes up with.

rday