[TriLUG] Kernel version / wlan question

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Tue Nov 27 14:23:42 EST 2001

Hello,

I am setting up a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with Red Hat 7.1 . The kernel version
is 2.4.3-6
I am trying to install the wlan project to support a Linksys wireless nic,
and the project has RPM's for
either 2.4.2 or 2.4.9 for Red Hat 7.1. So do I:
a.) ignore RPM error and go ahead and install either the wlan-2.4.2 or the
wlan2.4.9 rpm? if so, which?
b.) Upgrade to 7.2 and hope that the kernel is one of the ones that there is
a wlan RPM for?
c.) get jiggy with it and attempt to upgrade just the kernel (is that
possible?). If you suggest this then I'm in for a ride! :-0

I am a NOVICE linux user, basically don't know sh^t, but trying to learn. So
what would you suggest.

Also, when I installed this machine I opted for the graphical login.  I
there a way to shut down X to a text login?

Last thing. command to type that tells me which kernel I am running?

Thanks in advance,

Justin