[TriLUG] MTAs

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Tue Nov 27 19:29:16 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Hey, I've got a potential project that I'd like to investigate, but need
> some input on.  My wife has purchased a domain for her new business, and
> we are thinking of having my Linux machine be the primary MX record for
> that domain.  I would simply alias email to that domain to her RoadRunner
> account, thereby allowing her to get email at her domain without having to
> set up POP or IMAP services on my Linux box.
>
> Now here's the tough part:  I've never set up an MTA, and I'm a bit
> intimidated by all that may be involved in doing so.  Currently, I use
> exim on my Debian Woody machine to handle mail retrieved by fetchmail,
> however I'm not sure that exim is capable of doing what I'm proposing.
> Would I have to switch to Sendmail, Postfix, qmail, or some other such
> MTA?  I suspect that I would.

i don't know about the need to switch, not knowing anything about exim or
its capabilities, but i will say that postfix is really easy to configure.
it's very flexible and the options are documented clearly in the main conf
file, and the defaults that all of the rpms i've used came with work well
for most cases. to do what you're looking to do should be easy; just add
the new hostname(s) to the list of hostnames that postfix thinks it should
handle and then set up mappings for that domain.

- donald