[TriLUG] Re: LUG: problems whith X

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 27 20:03:27 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Elliot Badham Peele wrote:

> there aren't any agp options in my config file. i am not using nvgart
> anywhere and i don't have extra params.

Read the documentation on Nvidia's website.

You can either use agpgart+NVdriver(nvgart) _or_ NVdriver. If you choose
the first, you'll use Option "NVAgp" "1". The latter, Option
"NVAgp" "2". By default it's set to 3 even if you have no agp option
specified in your XF86Config-4, which means to try 2 first and then upon
failure 1, then fail completely.

In other words, you _must_ use NVdriver no matter what if you plan on
using Nvidia's binary-only drivers.

> i couldn't get the nv driver to work with my lcd on my laptop, but it does
> work with my monitor on a docking station.

Which makes sense, since it's documented in the README in both text and
pdf format that you should use the binary-only drivers for lcd support.

> > FWIW, I bought a Radeon and donated the GeForce2MX to a Windows user.
> >

> i have a laptop, so i don't have this choice.

My condolences.

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key: www.cs.unc.edu/~chenda/pubkey.gpg.asc