excuse me?! (was Re: [triLUG] any clues?)

Beth Ellison leonardbernst55 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 09:17:26 EST 2001

>I haven't seen the 7.2 manuals, but from what I've
>seen of the 7.1 manuals, Red Hat documentation is like
>a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going
>to get. Most of the user manual was incoherent and
>contained scattered bits of cutesy tutorials on things
>like making pretty pictures with Gimp or browsing
>Usenet or the history of the Bourne shell,and not a
>whole lot about setting up a basic system and getting
>everything to work.

"...scattered bits of cutesy tutorials/incoherent" my ass. Anyone who sits
down with the *user guide* (the Getting Started Guide) and reads it from the
beginning, like you should when approaching something as daunting as a new
OS, can easily learn how to log in, create a user account, get online,
customize the desktop, print, manage files, create basic files, etc. And it
gives lots of references for additional information elsewhere. It's not
perfect, but it's a damn good book. I think you were reading the News &
Observer, not the Red Hat GSG.

Love,
Beth

I could easily see how someone