excuse me?! (was Re: [triLUG] any clues?)

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Nov 28 09:29:44 EST 2001

Beth writes:
> "...scattered bits of cutesy tutorials/incoherent" my ass. Anyone who sits
> down with the *user guide* (the Getting Started Guide) and reads it from
the
> beginning, like you should when approaching something as daunting as a new
> OS, can easily learn how to log in, create a user account, get online,
> customize the desktop, print, manage files, create basic files, etc. And
it
> gives lots of references for additional information elsewhere. It's not
> perfect, but it's a damn good book. I think you were reading the News &
> Observer, not the Red Hat GSG.

Woooo it's getting hot in here.

I personally haven't purchased Red Hat since 6.2.  7.0 was, well, it was
7.0.  The loss of the $30 box set it basically why I don't buy it now.  But
that's out of your control.   Considering the purpose of the book that came
with it, I found it to be pretty useful for the most part.

The one thing that I found frustrating (I think this happened with 6.1 or
6.2), to the point that I opened a support ticket and got a tech that
basically pulled an "I dunno" and closed the ticket,  was that LDAP support
was touted as one of the major features yet there was nothing about it in
the documentation.  That was one of my major reasons for buying the product
so the whole experience did leave sort of a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll buy 7.2 if the $30 box set returns.