excuse me?! (was Re: [triLUG] any clues?)

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Wed Nov 28 11:51:07 EST 2001

Jon Carnes wrote:

> First of all, the RH docs are extremely good.  A newbie would do very well
> in reading those starting manuals.  The information is clear, and presented
> in a logical format.

I agree.  I started out w/ Matt Welsh's 'Running Linux' way back when,
I would have loved the user guide in its form today had it been available
then. Not that 'Running Linux' isn't still extremely usefull, just maybe
more than average newbie would want to work with to get a basic box up.

> Don't increase the number of books in the Box set! ... at lest not for
> Newbies.  That would make someone new to Linux throw their hands in the air
> in despair.  Too much Documentation can be daunting.

Maybe, I would have liked to have the cg and rg in printed, bound form
in the $60 box (which I bought btw).  I ended up printing and using them
myself in looseleaf binders... Not quite as usable as in a book.

> Do market your books that you are in the process of writing (see your
> message below).  Sell them as low priced Add-on Manuals to the RH operating
> system.

Agreed. I would have bought the cg and rg were they available and reasonable
($10 - $20), rather than printing them out myself.

>    Security would be an awesome Add-on Manual, a *must* purchase, and quite
> a bargain at :  $10 to $25.
>    Networking would be another must have Add-on Manual!
>    SysAdmin should perhaps be bundled with the box set, but also available
> separately.

ditto.

> I would also suggest an Add-on for Unified Passwords, maybe subtitle this
> as an LDAP how-to.  Also a webserver setup and integration book would be
> good.  So would a book that is aimed at setting up and maintaining an Mail
> server.
>
> The net affect on Red Hat for such a move should be very positive,

strongly agree -- plus I think it would perhaps be a source
of income from users who wouldn't purchase the boxed sets, but might
purchase the documentation seperately.

F.