[TriLUG] good newbie book

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Nov 28 12:06:52 EST 2001

Lisa Lorenzin wrote:

> hi there!
>
> i just gave my father his first linux box.  and then ducked. :)

Good for you!

> the good news is the box is running red hat 7.1 and has 32 meg of RAM; the
> bad news is that it's a dell optiplex from 1995 with 4 gig of hd, a
> non-pnp isa ethernet nic, and an ibm 8515 monitor.  (mike, our household
> magician, actually managed to convince x to run at 1024x768 on that
> dinosaur!).

ouch...

> can anyone recommend a good newbie book that won't insult his
> intelligence?  he IS a computer geek - it's just that he's a dos/windows
> computer geek, so a lot of the commands and concepts in linux are new to
> him.  (he found linuxnewbie.com already, but is looking for a book because
> it's easier to read large amounts of information in hardcopy.)

Get Running Linux (or the more newbie-oriented Linux in a
Nutshell) from:

  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux3/
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut3/

> can anyone tell me how to use rpm (the command) to determine what rpm
> (package) contains the library i need, when the rpms (packages) are on the
> cd, rather than installed?  specifically, i want the moral equivalent of
> rpm -qp --whatprovides libfoo.so.1, but when i try that, it tells me i can
> only do one type of query at a time.  (sigh.)

for i in *.rpm
do
   n=`rpm -qlp $i | grep libfoo | wc -l`
   if [ $n -ne 0 ]; then
     echo $i
   fi
done

> if you don't install a windowing environment at the beginning, is there
> any less painful way to install kde than installing each kde rpm one at a
> time and going fishing back through the rest of the rpms to figure out
> which rpm provides the library it says it requires?  (yes, that's how the
> previous question came about.)

There must be a better way, but I don't know it off the top of my
head...  sorry...

> more generally, is there any way to tell rpm "install this RPM, and if it
> has any dependencies, install the things it depends on, too?"  (similar to
> the way CPAN handles installs - if you try to install a bundle that
> depends on modules that you haven't installed yet, you can tell it just to
> install all the modules it needs and then install the bundle...)

again, dunno...

> and, last but definitely not least - can anybody provide pointers on how
> to get a NON-pnp isa card working under 7.2? *wry grin*

oh, yuk...  uh, search the net for someone else who got it working?

> thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.  situations like this
> make me realize how much i DON'T know about linux yet...  i feel like the
> blind leading the blind.

You'd have a much nicer experience on newer hw.  Boxes are so cheap.
Perhaps it would be worth your time (and your dad's) to get a new box?

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD