[TriLUG] good newbie book

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Nov 28 14:24:00 EST 2001

Beth said:
> It is gone. GNOME has all these config tools in Nautilus now. User Manager
> (redhat-config-users) is there for linuxconf type things.

Ewwwww.  I know it is tacky for me to criticize Red Hat while I'm openly
seeking employment there, but this favoritism towards Gnome is another
turnoff.  When a key component of the OS gets moved to one desktop
environment, I think that is a Bad Thing.  I know you're not to blame for
that and I'm not shooting the messenger.

Linuxconf had something going for it in that you could run it from a VT100
console, xterm, any X Windows environment, web interface, etc.  Requiring
Gnome or a subset of Gnome to be installed to use a core system tool is sort
of, well, a downgrade in features from where I sit.