[TriLUG] Server question

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Nov 28 19:44:04 EST 2001

Mark said:
> I am trying to set up the server for the high school - I have to setup
Apache,
> DNS and mail (qmail) --  Should I set these up on a DMZ server in front of
the
> firewall ?

Hi Mark.  My suggestion for a third leg network is a little different than
that.  Your firewall machine would have three network adapters.   This is
also referred to as a DMZ network or perimeter network.  Sometimes they
involve sandwhiching the DMZ between two firewalls (one leading to the
internet, the other to the internal private network).  But this can be
accomplished with three adapters in one firewall.

Here is a great primer on DMZ networks.  sans.org is in general a great
resource for network security tips.
http://www.sans.org/infosecFAQ/firewall/DMZ.htm