[TriLUG] MS Exchange scheduling component replacement?

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu Nov 29 18:15:27 EST 2001

Howdy folks,

I'm doing some volunteer work for one of the homeless ministries in the
Triangle, which is currently 100% Microsoft, and looking to introduce them
to "the light".  One of the things that they are asking me to do is install
MS Exchange 5.5 solely so people can schedule time with the pastor.  Even
with the reduced price given to charities, this is going to cost about
$1,500 for the additional software on top of the existing NT 4.0 server.
I'm qualified and able to do this but would like to propose another option
to them.  Since my only recent scheduling experience is with MS Exchange &
Lotus Notes I wanted to ask y'all if there was an open source option that
could go head to head against Exchange.  It would be really nice if this
integrated with email somehow.

They seem to have some old broken Pentiums around that I could piece
together into a workable Linux server.  All of the client machines are
Windows 9x or NT 4.0.  I hear they may also have some Windows For Workgroups
around too but I'm not too worried about that right now.

Thanks,
Chris