[TriLUG] good newbie book

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Fri Nov 30 09:11:51 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 08:56:13AM -0500, rpjday wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Lisa Lorenzin wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Robert Wagoner wrote:
> >
> > > relevant package names, then issue
> > >
> > > rpm -Uvh pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 ...
> > >
> > > and go have dinner while it grinds through them all, instead of
> > > installing
> > > one at a time.
> >
> > ooh, spiff. :)  poking through the man page, it looks like the default
> > behavior in rpm is to re-order the packages to satisfy dependencies, so i
> > shouldn't even have to figure out what order they need to go in...  i'll
> > have to pick something random to add on and give that one a try, too.
>
> i'm pretty sure that ordering of rpm filenames is not an issue if
> you put all of them as arguments to a single rpm command.
>
> there have been cases where two rpm files are actually dependent on
> one another (i recall seeing a case like this months ago, but can't
> remember what they were -- perhaps compiler and libs??)
>
> obviously, putting the args in either order is not going to solve the
> problem, which is why i'm pretty sure that, as long as you put all
> of the files as arguments to a single command, any internal
> dependencies shouldn't be a problem and ordering is irrelevant.
>
> i'm willing to be corrected on this point, however.

This is the same experience I've had with rpm's behavior.  The order of
the rpms listed on the command line does not matter, and you can satisfy
the dependencies of inter-dependent rpms by listing them all on the same
rpm command line.  (I ran into this a couple years ago when upgading or
installing something, but I, too, can't remember the specifics.)

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org