[TriLUG] RE: recommendations for virtual hosting

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Nov 30 12:28:54 EST 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Christian J Hedemark wrote:

> Ed Hill said:
> > I've used Hurricane Electric and MindSpring/Earthlink for a few domains.
> > Mindspring was *awful*.  They are expensive, have rotten tech support (on
> > hold for *hours* for three different events), broken pop accounts with
> > an outright *refusal* to fix them when I pointed out the breakage, and
> > generally a lousy attitude towards customers.  Avoid them!
>
> I've had the same experience with Mindspring.  I still use them for dialup,
> but never never again for hosting services.

I'll ditto that.  My organization used Mindspring/Earthlink web hosting
for a while (before I was hired to setup in-house servers).  It would
often go down in the middle of the business day for hours, with no
explanation.  Their billing system was pretty bad too; once they cut off
our service for nonpayment, when it turned out it THEY made a mistake in
entering our payment.  Everyone was happy when I got everything switched
over to our in-house Linux server. :)

Earthlink also has discontinued a number of the handy web-based tools that
Mindspring had invented.  They've done an awful job of integrating the two
services; there a number of help pages that are alternately branded with
the two logos and are full of broken links.  Not exactly worth the
$100/mo. we were paying for business-class service!

Several years ago I had an account with he.net and was pleased; the other
more recent tesimonies there would probably be more reliable.

Regards,
Jeremy Portzer