[TriLUG] web hosting options

scott jacobs sjacobs at plurimus.com
Fri Nov 30 12:29:27 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:02:16PM -0500, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> Marc Johnson said:
> > I've been extremely happy with Hurricane Electric hosting my pages
> > (www.he.net). Affordable, great service, and I don't think I've ever
> caught
> > them down.
>
> Would you mind elaborating on "affordable" please?  Most webhosts seem to
> keep their rates secret which greatly frustrates the search process.

What are you talking about? Co-location prices may be more hidden or
require a consultation with a salesperson, but hosting companies are
quick to point out their hosting rates.  One click off the homepage for
www.he.net tells us that hosting plans can be had for 9.95 - 299.95
depending on the plan, all with a $19.95 setup.

http://webservices.cnet.com/cgi/scompare.asp?stable=Hosting_Plans lists
tons of companies with their pricing right there on the page.

I use www.phpwebhosting.com.  9.95/month, no setup fee. The only
inconvience is that you have to specifically ask for them to turn on ssh
shell access if you want it.  However, that didn't take but a few hours
for the two accounts I have with them.

scott