[TriLUG] RH Linux libc problem - installing Oracle

Michael Peterson midpeter at slis.indiana.edu
Thu Nov 29 11:29:29 EST 2001

I'm trying to install the Oracle OCI client on Red Hat 7.1 (also tried it
on 7.2) and I'm getting a linker error.  We called Oracle support, they
looked at the make error log and said that the problem is with the Linux
glibc library and ldd.

I've read that there have been issues with Red Hat's glibc and wondered
what suggestions you have on how to fix this problem.  I'm not a very
sophisticated C programmer (I mostly do Perl and Java), so I may not
describe the problem here correctly, so bear with me.

<problem-details>
gcc --version
2.96

uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686
unknown

distribution: RH 7.1 (from day one: this was not an upgrade from a
previous version)

The Oracle library is called functions in libc.so.6, which is a symlink:
[oracle at localhost /lib]$ ls -l libc.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  13 May 15 2001 libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.2.so

The symbol (well one of them) that cannot be found is:
_dl_lazy

which I believe is defined in /lib/ld-linux.so.2

The Oracle help desk said that these commands show the problem:
[oracle at localhost /lib]$ nm -a /lib/ld-linux.so.2 | grep _dl_lazy
00016544 D _dl_lazy

but...

[oracle at localhost /lib]$ nm -a libc.so.6 | grep
nm: libc.so.6: no symbols

[oracle at localhost /lib]$ nm -a libc-2.2.2.so | grep _dl_lazy
nm: libc-2.2.2.so: no symbols

I believe this means that there is some linker or library problem between
libc.so.6 and finding the definition of the symbol _dl_lazy in
/lib/ld-linux.so.2.

If it matters, ld-linux.so.2 is also a symlink:

[oracle at localhost /lib]$ ls -l ld-linux.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 May 15  2001 ld-linux.so.2 ->
ld-2.2.2.so

</problem-details>

Any ideas of what to try next?  Should we change to gcc3.0?  Are there
updates/patches for 2.96 that fix this?  We've also tried this on a fresh
install of RH 7.2 and saw the same problem.

Thanks,

-----------------------------
Michael Peterson
Systems Programmer, Scientific Computing Group
Syngenta, Inc.
Research Triangle Park, NC
http://www.syngenta.com

"Five minutes after any agreement is signed with
Microsoft they'll be thinking of how to violate
the agreements. They're predators. They crush their
competition. They crush new ideas. They stifle
innovation. That's what they do."

-Thomas Reilly, attorney general of Massachusetts
http://www.newsobserver.com/thursday/news/editorials/Story/839842p-827111c.html