[TriLUG] (no subject) domain resolutions

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Fri Nov 30 18:14:03 EST 2001

hmm very interesting, I've noticed something similar, but not related to
Linux at all.  I have a wireless router (Netgear) that serves up DHCP to my
win2k laptop.  I have noticed on occasion that I have to release and then
renew my DHCP address (sometimes a couple of times in a row) on the laptop
to get DNS requests to work again (they would stop working in the same way
you describe).  Yet on my RH7.0 server which I have a static IP and static
entered DNS servers I don't see that problem ever (same private LAN just
wired instead of wireless).  I was assuming their was some form of DNS
problem from my cable provider, but now I am tempted to look at W2K
(wouldn't be a first).  It's been a little while since it last happened,
checking my windows patches there is something I installed on the 20th that
was IE security related.  Then again, this may all be unrelated or be a DNS
issue.

Daivd

PS. windows command "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" reminds me
of ifconfig, always gets me confused.