[TriLUG] Re: DNS lookup of Linux server fails intermittently (OT - W2K and DNS)

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Nov 30 19:08:00 EST 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Geoffrey Douglas Purdy wrote:

> Jeremy,
> I'll bet you're right!  I remember seeing several nameservers listed on
> the W2K server.  I don't have Administrator access to change this on the
> W2K servers, but we'll give it a try on Mon. and report back to the list
> on whether it solves our problem.

To clarify -- you do mean changing the client DNS resolver configuration
by way of updating the DHCP server config on the W2K servers, right?  I
wasn't recommending changing the DNS resolver configuration of the actual
W2K server. (Although the internal DNS server does need to be configured
as a forwarder for external domains, as already mentioned.)

In the above paragraph, "DNS server" refers to the DNS service on the
appropriate W2K server, and "DNS resolver configuration" means the DNS
server list that is pushed out to the clients by DHCP. Just trying to be
clear...these acronyms can be confusing!

Sorry if this is OT for TriLUG.

--Jeremy