[TriLUG] RH Linux libc problem - installing Oracle

Michael Peterson midpeter at slis.indiana.edu
Sat Dec 1 03:55:13 EST 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Justin Johnson wrote:

> I don't know if this will help or not, but right before I left my last job
> about a
> month ago I set up Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat 7.1. I had A LOT of help from an

Thanks for your help...
I've gotten it to work on RH 7.1 and 7.2 (just the Oracle OCI client,
I haven't tried installing the whole database server).

The answer is you have to have the following compat rpms installed:
1) compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.i386.rpm (2.14 MB) - this one has to be
installed first
2) compat-libs-6.2-3.i386.rpm  (1.36 MB)
3) compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.14.i386.rpm (943 KB)

Once you have these installed then you need to need to execute what you
have in your .bashrc:
> # Oracle 8i work-around for old glibc
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
> . /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh

The LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is to get Java to work correctly, since Oracle
Universal installer is Java-based.

The /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh script simply
sets two further env vars so that the gcc and linker used by Oracle
references the compat libraries.

The /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh file itself
comes from one of the above compat rpms.  You won't have it if you don't
install them.

I'll also say that the root.sh script produced by the installer half way
through the install is broken for Linux.  I can't believe Oracle says
they've tested the installer for Red Hat Linux.  I have a version of
root.sh that works if anyone needs it.

-----------------------------
Michael Peterson
Systems Programmer, Scientific Computing Group
Syngenta, Inc.
Research Triangle Park, NC
http://www.syngenta.com

"Five minutes after any agreement is signed with
Microsoft they'll be thinking of how to violate
the agreements. They're predators. They crush their
competition. They crush new ideas. They stifle
innovation. That's what they do."

-Thomas Reilly, attorney general of Massachusetts
http://www.newsobserver.com/thursday/news/editorials/Story/839842p-827111c.html