[TriLUG] Changing machine name in Red Hat 7.2

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Sat Dec 1 14:59:23 EST 2001

Hi all,

I need to change a machine name to adhere to a new naming convention for our
office.
Does this present any concerns, or will I be OK just changing it in the
network settings?
I know in Windows this can sometime lead to some issues, didn't know if the
same applies in
Linux.

Also, I have changed the name everywhere I can find it, but the console
prompt still has the old name.
Where is that stored?

If it would be best to reinstall the OS, just let me know, as it is a fresh
install anyway, and I can use the practice.:-P

TIA,

Justin