[TriLUG] hosed system, HELP!!!!!!!!!

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Sat Dec 1 16:53:29 EST 2001

> Ouch...  Glibc is the basis for pretty much everything on your
> system so in future I'd be *very* careful about upgrading it.

> Use only a glibc that you are very certain will work with all
> the other binaries you already have installed.  For instance,
> stick to the just the "distro-provided" glibc's and their
> updates from Red Hat or Mandrake or whatever distro you use.

That's just the thing. I did use a vendor supplied RPM for my
distro.  And it was just a point release difference, so I
assumed it would work without breaking anything.  Yeah, yeah, I
know, I've said it myself a million times..

"when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me".

> AFAIK, its a lot better to spend your time rebuilding any
> particular RPM from source than installing a new glibc.

Good point.  I guess I'll do that in the future.

> That said, heres an idea that *might* work:

>   - On a different computer (if necessary), create a tarball
>     containing all the files that were in the *old* glibc RPM
>     that you overwrote (you can get the file list from 'rpm -ql')

>   - re-install the files on your broken system by unpacking the
>    tarball
>   - run ldconfig, if necessary
>   - At this point, you hopefully have a working rpm but a broken
>     afio.  I'd suggest getting the afio source RPM (or just a
>    source tarball) and try re-building it for your system
>     (and thus your particular glibc ver).

Well, so far, everything else seems to work ok, except RPM.  Everything
important works, anyway.  So,
the idea I'm toying with, is re-building RPM from source.  I can hopefully
get a tarball for rpm,
or I can install the source rpm on another box, and copy the source tree
over.

Thanks for the help.

TTYL,

Phil