[TriLUG] Linux domains

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 4 22:37:16 EST 2001

One of the best large scale Domain models to follow is that of Novell.  NDS
is one of the finest directory services available and it works across all
platforms.  Of course you have to pay for NFS.

If you want a purely Linux/Unix solution that is free, then NFS/NIS or AFS
work very well.  Using LDAP for universal authentication and access is also
quite popular these days.

You can also use Samba and setup a PDC and BDC's plus WIN-servers and have
a nice MS type Domain running purely on Linux.

If I was just starting out on a network design for purely Linux, and I
thought my network would grow fairly fast, then I would look seriously at
LDAP.  It's good for most basic authentication, and folks are rapidly
adapting it for universal use.

Jon Carnes