[TriLUG] Upgrade to 7.2 (stupid question)

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:55:30 EST 2001

>From: "Christian J Hedemark" <chris at yonderway.com>

>Kevin Hunter asks:
> > Is there a doc someone can point an inexperienced linux admin to on
> > how to upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2?  Is there a way to avoid resetting up
> > the entire system up from scratch ( or is that still the recommended
> > "upgrade" procedure ) ???

>An inexperienced linux admin won't need doc.  I just went through this
>today.  When you are asked what kind of system do you want to set up, you
>pick "Upgrade" and it does everything for you.  One default you might
>consider NOT taking is it gives you the option of upgrading your ext2
>partitions to ext3 (journaled!) so you may want to consider NOT taking the
>default in order to take advantage of ext3.  Other than that, it pretty
>much
>upgraded itself.  This is MUCH better than the older Red Hat upgrades.

I just want to agree withChris remarks, as QA Test Engineer for Red Hat:

Yes, it is very easy to do.

Yes, go for ext3. The best feature of RedHat Linux 7.2 is one-click upgrade
to ext3.

And, after booting ionto your new Red Hat Linux 7.2, please take your time
surfing the file /tmp/upgrade.log
If, for any strange reason, something goes wrong, it will be highlighted
there. Also, you will have a list of all the packages that have been
upgraded.

And, if the config file of a package has changed a lot, you still will have
your old configuration file plus the new configuration file. Check for
"program.conf.rpmsave" files or "program.conf.rpmnew" files. You want to
check both, the new file and the old one, to make sure your system works as
you want.

Salut,
Sinner
--