[TriLUG] Upgrade to 7.2 - now KDE lockups

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Dec 5 11:13:43 EST 2001

The only problem I am having with 7.2 is that I get occaisional machine
lockups (hard lockups) when I am working at the console under KDE.  This has
happened on other machines with Red Hat 7.1 and is now happening with 7.2.
I have applied all available upgrade RPM's, and even got the KDE 2.2.2 RPM's
directly from KDE.org.

As long as I use the machine as a server it works great.  But I can't use
the local console without fear of lockups (it locks up a lot more than my
Windows 2000 machine).  In the past I've always seen this problem with KDE
as well.  Do other people see frequent lockups with recent versions of KDE
running on the console?

The machine itself is running mostly pretty new hardware.  Duron 750, half
gig of PC133 SDRAM, 16GB UDMA66 drive, 20GB UDMA66 drive, Matrox dual head
video card, Netgear 10/100 PCI ethernet.  The only old piece of hardware is
the sound card (SB16), which doesn't work anyway so I'm going to rip that
out.  But I've seen these KDE lockups on other systems too that are totally
different from this box.